You can translate the question and the replies:

How to connect to SQLServer localdb

Hello, How do I conect to the SQLServer localdb? These parameters do not work: * 'D:\Denodo\extensions\thirdparty\lib\sqljdbc41.jar' * jdbc:sqlserver://(LocalDb)\MSSQLLocalDB:1433;databaseName=denodoCache Error message is rather standard: Unable to establish connection: The TCP/IP connection to the host (LocalDb), port 1433 has failed. Error: "(LocalDb). Verify the connection properties. Make sure that an instance of SQL Server is running on the host and accepting TCP/IP connections at the port. Make sure that TCP connections to the port are not blocked by a firewall.". Searching the web suggests that JDBC would not work for localdb's. Similar parameters for a SQLServer database on our network work fine: * 'D:\Denodo\extensions\thirdparty\lib\sqljdbc41.jar' * jdbc:sqlserver://agivsqlcrabtest:1433;integratedSecurity=true;databaseName=crab Maybe I should not use the localdb for caching but this was only for demo purposes (no need to set up a database server or create a database on an existing server). Thanks Geert
user
05-09-2017 14:50:13 -0400
code

3 Answers

Hi, As Denodo Platform officially supports "Microsoft SQL Server" to be used as an external cache database, I would use this for caching purpose. For better performance when querying the external cache database, I would recommend you to use the databases that are officially supported by Denodo. To know more about the list of databases supported by Denodo for caching, you could refer the [Cache Module](https://community.denodo.com/docs/html/browse/6.0/vdp/administration/cache_module/cache_module#cache-module) section of Virtual DataPort Administration Guide. Hope this helps !!
Denodo Team
07-09-2017 03:24:00 -0400
code
Hello, I agree that eventually I should not use Microsoft SQLServer's localdb for caching. But for demo purposes it seemed a good choice: * It is a Microsoft SQLServer database, so I would expect that it can be queryed with Denodo's Microsoft SQLServer driver. But I understand now that you do not consider Microsoft SQLServer's localdb a Microsoft SQLServer database? * Localdb is per default installed with other SQLServer related software (eg DataTools) or can be installed independently of it so it is readly available for testing etc, no external server or full Microsoft SQLServer installation is needed. * What I learned from the web is that with localdb you cannot with JDBC with a connection string. Named pipes are mentioned but I am not familiar with those and I do not know if it is possible to connect that way in denodo. Kind regards, Geert
user
07-09-2017 09:20:13 -0400
Hello, Eventually it all boiled down to the fact that Microsoft SQL Server LocalDB does not accept remote connections (which is necessary, even if database and Denodo are on the same computer). So I installed Microsoft SQL Server Express, enabled TCP/IP on Port 1433 and now caching works perfectly. Kind Regards Geert
user
12-09-2017 04:21:38 -0400
You must sign in to add an answer. If you do not have an account, you can register here