You can translate the question and the replies:

Data Catalog - Synchronize comments

When I change the description of a database in the data catalog, I cannot see this change in the VDP. Also, when I change the description from the original value in the VDP, this value is never refreshed in the catalog. Do they maintain a different metadata database version? Is it possible to configure a direct synchronization?
user
12-06-2020 06:18:00 -0400

3 Answers

Hi, If you go to Administration > Catalog Management > Element Management, this section shows you a list of all the elements you have synchronized with the Virtual DataPort Server. Please note that this screen will be empty until you synchronize the server metadata. It is highly recommended to synchronize the metadata as the first step. You can edit a view or a web service if you have administrative privileges and at any time you can synchronize the metadata with the Virtual DataPort server, in order to keep this tool synchronized with it. To do this, click on the “Synchronize with VDP server” and you can choose whether to keep the local descriptions or replace them with the ones from the server. the descriptions can be updated in three different ways: 1. Server option: The descriptions will be overwritten with the ones from the server. 2. Local option: All the descriptions of the Data Catalog will be preserved. 3. Server with local changes: The descriptions will be overwritten with the ones from the server, except the ones that have been edited from the Data Catalog (that will be preserved). For more information please refer to the [Element Configuration](https://community.denodo.com/docs/html/browse/7.0/vdp/data_catalog/administration/catalog_management/elements_configuration/elements_configuration) section of the Data Catalog Guide. You can automate the synchronization process by creating a JSON Datasource that calls the Denodo Data Catalog REST API and schedule the execution of this (JSON) view in the Scheduler Administration Tool. This REST API defines a set of functions which can be invoked via HTTP protocol. Please note that when you use the Data Catalog REST API and schedule the job through the scheduler, VDP will always be the master and Data Catalog will synchronize with the VDP server whenever the job will be executed. Please refer to the [Synchronize Elements with the Server](https://community.denodo.com/docs/html/browse/latest/vdp/data_catalog/appendix/rest_api/rest_api#synchronize-elements-with-the-server) section of the Data Catalog guide for more information on this. Hope this helps!
Denodo Team
12-06-2020 13:01:30 -0400
Hello, Just following up because I was just trying to do this. I would like the comments that are entered in Data Catalog to move to the VDP server and be visible to users in Virtual DataPort Administration Tool. Is that possible? Thanks!
user
02-09-2020 10:23:38 -0400
Hi, I would like to clarify that the behavior described is expected. The Data Catalog synchronization with the VDP Server allow to pull metadata that already exists in the VDP Server into the Data Catalog but does not push metadata changes in the Data Catalog back into the VDP Server. As explained in the previous comment, when synchronizing with the VDP Server the changes applied in the Data Catalog can be handled in three different ways which there is no scenario contemplated to apply changes in the Data Catalog to the VDP Server. One of the reasons of this design is that the Data Catalog descriptions accept rich text formats such as HTML that allow for the Data Catalog users to create more complex descriptions while the VDP Server only allows plain text. Hope this helps!
Denodo Team
14-09-2020 12:17:56 -0400
You must sign in to add an answer. If you do not have an account, you can register here