Is denodo-monitor able to decrypt password?

I wonder if I should fill-in an incident request about the issue described below or if there is something I'm doing wrong: With non encrypted password: ``` vdp.jmx.host=localhost vdp.jmx.port=9999 vdp.jmx.user=estdaasa vdp.jmx.password=MyP4ssw0rd vdp.jmx.password.encrypted=false ``` ``` $denodomonitorstartup.sh Starting Denodo Monitor... Sockets monitoring started... vdp threads monitoring started... Processes monitoring started... vdp vdpdatasources monitoring started... vdp connection logging started... vdp query logging started... vdp resources monitoring started using 'vdp' extension ... vdp load cache processes logging started... ``` With encrypted password: ``` $ encrypt_password.sh MyP4ssw0rd Encrypted Password: nzqqU7P/GHGtWbNU/DgA1LfUF3h4fbko ``` ``` vdp.jmx.host=localhost vdp.jmx.port=9999 vdp.jmx.user=estdaasa vdp.jmx.password=nzqqU7P/GHGtWbNU/DgA1LfUF3h4fbko vdp.jmx.password.encrypted=true ``` ``` $ denodomonitor_startup.sh Skipping logging for server vdp. Error decrypting user password Starting Denodo Monitor... Processes monitoring started... Sockets monitoring started... ``` Note that I also tried to enclose the password between double-quotes, to no avail.
user
16-10-2019 06:32:52 -0400

3 Answers

Hi, I am able to successfully start the Denodo monitor by encrypting the user password of denodo_monitor using the *encrypt_password.sh *script available in the path ***<DENODO_HOME>/tools/monitor/denodo-monitor/bin/***. The output of this script is an encrypted password that has to be added in the configuration file(ConfigurationParameters.properties) of the Denodo Monitor. Once done, restart the Denodo Monitor. For more information, you could refer to the section [Configuring the Denodo Monitor](https://community.denodo.com/docs/html/browse/7.0/vdp/administration/monitoring_the_virtual_dataport_server/denodo_monitor/configuring_the_denodo_monitor#configuring-the-denodo-monitor) of Virtual DataPort Administration Guide. Hope this helps!
Denodo Team
17-10-2019 07:27:25 -0400
Hi, It appears that under some circumstances, Denodo is really unable to decrypt the encrypted password from Configurtation.properties file. From my experience, when encrypt_password.sh return a string containing exclusively alphanumeric characters, there is no issue. *e.g. : t9N6UnYJN7LV5U82Jtx8RWXC337c3Ph0 * However, when the encrypted strings contains oterh characters... e.g. '+' or '/' or... then we get the error (probably this is due to the way the encrypted password string is parsed from the configuration file). After a few attempts, I was able to get a fully alphanumerix encrypted password from encryptpassword.sh on every environments I use. So, I'm now able to start monitoring processes with the admin password correctly encrypted in the configuration file. Still, the issue is real.
user
30-10-2019 11:50:36 -0400
Hi, I was able to successfully start the Denodo monitor with encrypted special characters (+,/) password and I was unable to reproduce your scenario. In your case, I would try to update the Denodo installation to the latest version and see if this solves the issue. Hope this helps!
Denodo Team
08-11-2019 08:03:24 -0500
You must sign in to add an answer. If you do not have an account, you can register here