Steps to enable mainframe COBOL application access to Denodo Views?

We are trying to enable mainframe z-os COBOL applications access to Denodo views (v7.0.20181011) . Could you please provide at least a high level overview of steps necessary to enable this? Does Denodo support DRDA? Thanks for any information you can provide.
user
12-12-2018 13:53:57 -0500

6 Answers

Hi, It is possible to connect to Denodo from COBOL applications through using the [ODBC driver](https://community.denodo.com/docs/html/browse/7.0/vdp/developer/access_through_odbc/access_through_odbc). For that, you can either create a C program in order to execute an ODBC connection and then executing that C code from COBOL or you can use COBOL copybooks for ODBC APIs. Another way would be to access the Denodo Web services interface. Within Denodo you can publish the required views as a [SOAP Web service](https://community.denodo.com/docs/html/browse/7.0/vdp/administration/publication_of_web_services/publishing_soap_web_services/publishing_soap_web_services) and using a web service framework for COBOL such as SOLA. Hope this helps!
Denodo Team
13-12-2018 10:51:51 -0500
Thank you for the information. Based on this info, I'm assuming Denodo does not support DRDA? Also, could you please elaborate a little more on the ideas of using COBOL copybooks for ODBC APIs? What APIs are you referring to? thanks
user
14-12-2018 10:49:12 -0500
Hi, The Denodo Platform can connect to DRDA supported databases through JDBC or ODBC, but it does not support DRDA itself. I am refering to the COBOL copybooks which are provided by IBM. They make it possible to access databases with ODBC drivers by using ODBC calls from COBOL programs. You can find more information on these copybooks on the vendors website. Hope this helps!
Denodo Team
21-12-2018 05:10:20 -0500
What is the database behind the COBOL application? If it is DB2 zOS, most clients have DB2 Connect (DRDA) to enable distributed applications to connect to the mainframe. You would then install the DB2 JDBC driver or create an ODBC connection on the Denodo server to access DB2 zOS through DB2 Connect. If the data source is IMS, VSAM, Flat Files, etc., you would need a gateway like IBM's Classic Federation or Attunity Connect (3rd party vendor) that have connectors to the legacy data source. These tools would import your COBOL copybook definitions that describes how the legacy data is defined and allow you to map the legacy data into a relational view. Then use their JDBC and ODBC drivers on the distributed Denodo server to connect to the mainframe data sources.
Denodo Team
21-12-2018 15:25:54 -0500
I think there is a misunderstanding here. I'm asking about connecting to Denodo from mainframe zOS COBOL. For simplicity, assume that a simple COBOL program is trying to consume data from a Denodo view and there are no other non-Denodo data sources in the scenario. One method we are investigating is for the COBOL program to consume a Denodo REST API through IBM's zOS Connect. However, I'm trying to understand other possible solutions via ODBC, JDBC, or other.
user
21-12-2018 16:05:51 -0500
My apologies for the misunderstanding. You should consult IBM to verify the following. A DRDA option is to use a DB2 Linux/Unix/Windows (LUW) server to make the DRDA connection from the mainframe. The DB2 LUW server would require their Federation feature (may need a license) that would allow DB2 LUW to connect to other JDBC or ODBC sources like Denodo. You would then map the Denodo views as DB2 federated views (Nicknames) in DB2 LUW. Using the REST API would be a more direct connection to Denodo.
Denodo Team
21-12-2018 17:24:20 -0500
You must sign in to add an answer. If you do not have an account, you can register here