You can translate the question and the replies:

Connecting to vdp on remote server without /dbname in connection string jdbc

Hii, I am trying to connect to denodo VDP through jdbc,my denodo is configured on remote server and I am triyng to connect there through my local machine.But in that case if I do not mention db name in string then also I get connected to vdp while on a local in connection string database name is mandatory,URL Format: jdbc:vdb://<hostname>:<port>/<database>...please let me know how am I getting connected on remote server without giving /dbname
user
13-10-2020 04:08:14 -0400

3 Answers

Hi, In Denodo Platform version 8, the Virtual Dataport Administration tool and Design Studio only allows the user to login into the Virtual Dataport Server without providing the database name in the connection string. For more information, refer to [Launching the Administration Tool](https://community.denodo.com/docs/html/browse/latest/vdp/administration/starting_virtual_dataport/launching_the_administration_tool/launching_the_administration_tool#:~:text=the%20database%20is%20optional) section of the Virtual Dataport Administration Guide. However, while accessing the Virtual Dataport Server using the JDBC Driver the database name is mandatory in the connection string. Without specifying the database name in the connection string, the application that uses JDBC connection string will not be able to connect to the Virtual Dataport Server even if the server instance is Local/Remote.For more information, refer to the [Access Through JDBC](https://community.denodo.com/docs/html/browse/latest/vdp/developer/access_through_jdbc/access_through_jdbc#:~:text=The%20name%20of%20the%20database%20is%20mandatory) section of the Virtual Dataport Developer Guide. Suppose, if your question is about the Denodo Platform Version 7, then the **database name is mandatory** in the connection string even when you connect to Virtual Dataport Server using the JDBC or Virtual Dataport Administration Tool. Hope this helps!
Denodo Team
14-10-2020 07:54:51 -0400
Thanks for the response, but the issue is, on remote server we have installed version 7.0 then also jdbc:vdb://<hostname>:<port>/ this url format up to / is acting as valid url while on connecting to the denodo on local machine dbname is required after / (forwardslash) so my point is for the same version of denodo why dbname is required to connect to denodo on local and why not on server's denodo...
user
14-10-2020 08:58:42 -0400
Hi, As per the Denodo [documentation](https://community.denodo.com/docs/html/browse/7.0/vdp/developer/access_through_jdbc/access_through_jdbc#:~:text=The%20name%20of%20the), In order to connect to the Virtual Dataport Server using the JDBC driver, the name of the database is mandatory in the connection string. Also, we are unable to reproduce the problem reported in the question in Denodo Platform Server Version 7 and 20200310 updates. I have used the following JDBC connection URL from the DBVisualizer (a third party JDBC client application) to connect to the Virtual Dataport Server 7 running on the remote computer. 1) jdbc:vdb://<my remote server>:9999/ -- I am getting the following error message- "authentication error: Database not specified in connection string" 2) jdbc:vdb://<my remote server>:9999 -- I am getting the following error message- "The selected Driver cannot handle the specified Database URL.The most common reason for this error is that the database URL contains a syntax error preventing the driver from accepting it.The error also occurs when trying to connect to a database with the wrong driver. Correct this and try again." Even i am facing the same error when trying to access the same JDBC URL for connecting to my local VDP server. Hence i would suggest you to provide the detailed steps you followed to reproduce the error. Suppose, if you are a user with valid support access then you can raise a support case in Denodo Support Site so that our support team can help you. Hope this helps!
Denodo Team
22-10-2020 04:18:05 -0400
You must sign in to add an answer. If you do not have an account, you can register here