You can translate the question and the replies:

Best Practice - data sources

What is best practice when creating data sources? We have a SQL server back-end with multiple databases that we may want to join across. Initially I set up data sources for each database but Denodo didn't recognize that fact that all the data sources pointed to the same SQL server back-end. When I changed to use the same data source for all the databases performance improved dramatically though it's more confusing as there are lot of tables from many databases under the same data source.
user
23-01-2017 20:00:45 -0500

2 Answers

For SQL Server we do one data source for each SQL Server instance. It does become more when there are a lot of base views belonging to the 1 data source, but getting the ability to delegate down the query to 1 datasource is worth it in my opinion. Though honestly I rarely look at the base views under the connection itself - instead I organize them by folders and I'm much more likely to look at the views that way. If I forget where it comes from, hovering over the view tells you which data source it came from.
user
24-01-2017 13:50:10 -0500
Hi, To organize the elements inside my project including the data sources I would better like to maintain them in seperate folders and follow naming conventions to create elements in my VDP admin tool. By providing a prefix and a meaning information for the datasource name I will be able to identify what is the source system, example: "ds_sqlserver_master" here the prefix "ds" refers to data source, "sqlserver" refers to the source, "master" refers to the name of the database. If there are a lot of data sources in a project then I make use of different folder sublevels to organize and manage the different kinds of data sources as separate folders like JDBC, XML,WS... Then I proceed further to create the necessary base views from a data source I continue to follow the naming convention which will help me to quickly identify the table which is introspected to create the base view. example:"bv_master_employee" here the prefix "bv" represents its a base view, "master" refers to the database name, "employee" refers to the table name. By following the folder structure and naming convention it helps me a lot to avoid confusion and manage the elements in a better way. I hope this helps you!
Denodo Team
27-01-2017 08:25:47 -0500
You must sign in to add an answer. If you do not have an account, you can register here