Mapping Multidimensional Data to a Relational Model¶
Virtual DataPort can obtain data from several multidimensional databases (SAP BW 3, SAP BI 7, Mondrian, Oracle Essbase, etc.)
This section explains how the data of a multidimensional structure is mapped to a relational representation.
The members of a multidimensional cube are organized in dimensions, hierarchies and levels:
- Each dimension may have one or more hierarchies
- Each hierarchy is composed by a set of levels
- Levels have a hierarchical organization. That is, a level may have a parent and/or a children level.
To extract data from a multidimensional database, you have to create a multidimensional base view. There are two ways to do this:
- Graphically, by selecting the hierarchies of the dimensions, measures, attributes and variables, that will form the base view. See section Creating a Multidimensional Base Views Over a Multidimensional Data Source.
- Or, writing an MDX query.