Setting the User Agent of an Application¶
The user agent is an attribute of the connections to Virtual DataPort. This attribute is a string that has to be set by the client applications.
There are several places that display the user agent of the connections:
- Virtual DataPort publishes several MBeans with information about
which application opened each connection, performed a request, etc.
These MBeans have the attribute
- The logs generated by the Denodo Monitor.
- The Query Monitor of the administration tool (“Tools” menu)
We recommend setting the user agent attribute from your client applications because it will help you identify the requests performed by a particular application. This is very useful for debugging problems caused by a particular client or for logging purposes.
The user agent is set in a different way depending on the type of client:
JDBC clients: add the parameter
userAgentto the JDBC URL. For example,
Alternatively, you can add
userAgentas a driver property instead of a parameter of the URL.
JMS clients: set the property
userAgentin the JMS message. For example:
javax.jms.TextMessage message = session.createTextMessage(QUERY); message.setStringProperty("userAgent", "userAgentValueJMS");
- Administration tool: open the dialog Connection on the menu Tools > Admin Tool preferences and change the value of the box User agent.
- The RESTful web service, REST and SOAP web services: the value of the HTTP header
User-Agentof the requests is passed along with the statements these services execute in the Virtual DataPort server.
The user agent is not configurable for other types of clients.