Integration with the Server Explorer¶
When version control is active for the current database, each node in the Administration Tool’s Server Explorer is marked with a VCS status icon, unless it is not under version control (see Server Explorer):
- If you are using GIT and there are commits pending to be pushed, you will see a number beside the name of the database. In the screenshot Server Explorer, you can see there is one commit pending to be pushed.
- Green. The element is under version control and there are no local changes.
- Orange. The element is under version control and contains uncommitted local changes.
- Gray. The element is under version control and has been deleted, but the change has not been committed to the VCS.
- No icon. The element is not under version control yet.
- Red. The element is “out-of-sync”. I.e. there was an error while checking out this element from the VCS server. Check-ins cannot include elements in this status.
- Red/orange. The element was “out-of-sync” (with the red icon) and later, modified. I.e. there was an error while checking out this element from the VCS server and then, you modified it locally.
- Red/gray. The element was “out-of-sync” (with the red icon) and later, deleted locally. I.e. there was an error while checking out this element from the VCS server and then, you deleted it locally.
If you right-click an element, the contextual menu has a submenu VCS, which contains the actions you can perform over that element. These actions change depending on the VCS system used and the selected element.
If you right-click an element and click Diff, the Tool will display the “Diff” dialog where you can see the differences between the VQL of the local version of the element and what is stored in the VCS server. If you configured an external diff viewer tool, click Compare to see the differences in this external tool. To set the path to an external diff tool, click Admin Tool preferences on the menu Tools. Then, click the VCS (see more about setting a compare tool in the section VCS Settings of the Administration Tool).
If you click Discard on the selected element’s VCS submenu, you will undo the uncommitted changes in the element’s scope (e.g. using Discard on a folder, will discard all the changes in the elements of that folder). The section Discard provides more details.