Denodo Express 8.0 Quick Start Guide
Thank you for registering in the Denodo Community and downloading Denodo Express!
This quickstart guide will give you the first view about Denodo Express and how to start using it so you can quickly start building data virtualization solutions.
Denodo Express Architecture Overview
Denodo Express is derived from our enterprise-class product, the Denodo Platform, and they share the same main building blocks:
- Virtual DataPort (VDP): this is the main data virtualization product that allows users to connect to a variety of data sources, combine their data and publish the results for client applications to consume. It’s composed of:
- the VDP server or VQL server;
- the VDP Administration Tool, a desktop client that you will use for both administration of the server and development of data virtualization solutions;
- the Web Design Studio, a browser-based tool for developers; and
- the Data Catalog, a browser-based tool that allows end users to easily consume data services.
- Scheduler (SCHED): this is the batch processing tool that connects to data sources and the VDP server and allows to regularly run data exports, refresh and/or invalidate caches, etc. It is composed of:
- the Scheduler Server;
- and the Scheduler Administration Tool, a web application.
- ITPilot (ITP): this is the semi-structured information module. It is normally used for web automation, mainly for accessing web pages and extracting information from them. The Denodo Express license does not include this module, but you can learn more about it in the ITPilot documentation and in the web automation tutorial.
Our recommendation is to always install all modules, even if they appear greyed out due to not being available for Denodo Express. That way you will not need to make any changes if you decide to upgrade to the Denodo Platform from the Express version.
Denodo Express Installation Process
To install Denodo Express follow these steps:
- Download the Denodo Express installer suitable for your operating system and CPU architecture. And download your Denodo Express license. Both the Denodo Express installer and the Denodo Express license are available to download from the Denodo Express Community page.
- Once you have them, unzip the installer file. That will create a folder with several files, which include “install.exe” and “install.sh”. Use the former to start the installation process in Windows systems, and the later for Linux systems. On Windows execute the installer with administrator privileges. If you did not log in as an administrator or User Account Control (UAC) is enabled, you will have to provide administrator credentials to launch the installer.
- The script will start the Denodo Express graphical installer. This installer will guide you step by step for installing the product. As mentioned before we recommend you to install all modules, and unless you have any specific need you can leave all the defaults for every product’s ports.
- During the installation you will be prompted for your Denodo Express license; make sure you have it available locally so you can select it from the installer interface.
There is additional information available in our detailed Denodo Platform Installation Guide.
Starting Denodo Express
Once the installation process is completed, Denodo Express will be available in the destination folder that you selected during the installation.
Now, you need to launch the Denodo Control Center following one of the following ways:
- through the Denodo Platform Control Center: use the desktop shortcut to the Denodo Platform Control Center; or
- browse to the folder <DENODO_HOME>/bin and open the file denodo_platform.bat in Windows systems or denodo_platform.sh in Linux systems.
After following one of those steps the Denodo Control Center will start. Then you can click on the left-hand “Virtual DataPort” button, which will show the controls for the Virtual DataPort module. There, you can start the VDP Server and launch the VDP Administration Tool.
The installation process creates by default the following user in both the VDP server and the Scheduler server:
Use these credentials to access your new Denodo Express installation. You can of course change the password for the admin user. Always be careful when modifying that password, as if for any reason you cannot remember or replicate it at a later point you will not be able to access your installation of Denodo.
After your installation has finished and you are able to start the different VDP modules and connect to your server using the default credentials, you are ready to start building data virtualization solutions. Check out all the available information:
If you want to move on to professionally guided training you can always check our courses offering at our training site.
And if you have any questions or any specific assistance or help, don’t hesitate to ask your peers and experts within the Community.
The Denodo Team.