This document describes how to connect to ServiceNow from Denodo Virtual DataPort.
ServiceNow is an IT management tool that allows organizations to manage all aspects of their IT infrastructure including asset management, IT Service Management (Incident management, problem management, change management,etc.), CMDB (component management database) management of IT assets and devices, etc.
You can configure Denodo to retrieve data from ServiceNow by creating JSON data sources and base views in Denodo using the ServiceNow REST API.
In addition, the Denodo ServiceNow Templates available at Denodo’s Support Site, provide quick access to ServiceNow; in particular to Product Catalog, Incident, and Problem information. By means of a VQL and a properties file, you just have to configure a few parameters in the properties file and import these files in your Denodo server to get access to ServiceNow.
Connecting through a JSON data source
- From the design studio, create a new JSON data source by navigating to “File > New > Data source > JSON”. Then, the tool will display the dialog to create the data source.
Note: Prior to Denodo 8.0 Version, use the Virtual DataPort Administration Tool to create a new datasource.
- Select the “HTTP Client” option as the “Data Route” parameter.
- Click the (+) icon to expand the “Configuration” Section to Configure the “HTTP Client” data route to access the ServiceNow.
- HTTP Method: GET.
- URL: Specify the URL to retrieve the data from the ServiceNow.
- In the “Authentication” section, choose the authentication as “Basic” in the drop-down list and specify the login and password to connect to the ServiceNow.
- Then, click on ‘Test Connection’ and if the connection is successful, click on “Save”.
- Once the data source is created, click “Create base view” to create a base view to introspect source metadata available through the Data Source.
- Then the design studio will display the section where you can change the “tuple root” of the base view if you only want to access a portion of the JSON document. We recommend leaving the JSON root checkbox selected.
- Click the “Create Base View” button to create the base view.
- Once Base view is created, you are able to select the data from ServiceNow through the base view.
Connecting to ServiceNow using ServiceNow templates
- The Denodo ServiceNow Templates component is available to download for Denodo support users from the “Downloads > Denodo Connects” section of the Denodo Support Site.
- Set the username and password and base URL of your ServiceNow instance defined in the SERVICENOW.properties file which is available under Scripts folder of Denodo ServiceNow Templates distribution folder.
- “User”: the username in ServiceNow
- “Password”: the password in ServiceNow
- “Encrypted”: write ENCRYPTED if you have set an encrypted password. Otherwise, leave this field empty.
- “BaseUrl”: fill the name of your ServiceNow instance.
- Then, import the SERVICENOW.properties file and SERVICENOW.vql file which is available in the under Scripts folder of Denodo ServiceNow Templates distribution folder, using the Import option of the Design Studio.
- After importing the VQL file, refresh the design studio, by selecting File > Refresh and you will be able to see the data sources and base views for accessing ServiceNow.
Virtual DataPort Administration Guide: JSON Sources
Denodo ServiceNow Templates : Quick guide
ServiceNow Documentation: REST API Reference
How To Video: Denodo and ServiceNow