Microsoft Team Foundation Server (TFS) is a Microsoft product which provides source code management. Microsoft TFS can be used either with Team Foundation Version Control (TFVC) or Git adapters.
This document describes how to configure the Denodo Platform’s Version Control System (VCS) to connect to a Microsoft TFS server using the Git adapter instead of the TFS adapter.
Configuring Git on TFS for Denodo VCS
The Denodo Platform supports TFS as VCS through its TFS adapter. However, this configuration is only valid when the TFS server uses TFVC as their own version control (usual configuration). It is not possible to use the TFS adapter in Denodo when TFS is configured to use TFS+Git as its VCS.
However, it is still possible to use TFS configured with Git as the Denodo VCS configuring the Denodo Platform to use Git as the adapter. The following restrictions will apply in this case:
- NTLM is the default authentication protocol for Microsoft TFS and the most used. However, this protocol is not supported by Denodo’s Git adapter. This means that user credentials specified in the Denodo Platform Git wizard will be ignored and the authentication will be done using the operating system user which is executing the Denodo Platform. To work with this limitation, there are two alternatives:
- Since the authentication will be done with the operating system user executing the Denodo Platform, the TFS repository should grant access to that user.
- In case it is not possible to grant access to the user, the TFS authentication method has to be changed from NTLM to HTTP Basic. In order to change the authentication method follow these steps:
- Activate the Basic Authentication feature in Windows
- Enable Basic authentication and disable Windows authentication in TFS configuration.To do this use the Internet Information Services Manager.
Note that after switching to Basic Authentication, the credentials specified in the Denodo Git wizard will be used. Remember to enter the username including the domain name (e.g. YOURDOMAIN\user).
- If the TFS+Git repository uses the HTTPS protocol, the certificate used by the TFS server must be signed by a trusted Certification Authority (CA) and installed in the trust store of the Java Virtual Machine used by the Denodo Platform.
Taking into account these considerations it is possible to configure the Denodo Platform Git adapter as usual in order to use TFS+Git as the Denodo Platform VCS.
Team Foundation Server
Activate Basic Authentication feature in Windows