This document describes how to access Snowflake from the Denodo Platform.
Snowflake is an analytic data warehouse provided as Software-as-a-Service (SaaS), which uses cloud-based hardware and software.
Starting from version 6.0, Denodo includes a connector for Snowflake. Therefore, Denodo is going to use the supported JDBC adapter “Snowflake” for accessing Snowflake as a data source.
Connecting to Snowflake from Denodo
- From the design studio, create a new JDBC data source by navigating to “File > New > Data source > JDBC”.
Note: Prior to Denodo 8.0 Version, use the Virtual DataPort Administration Tool to create a new datasource.
- To create a connection, fill all the required fields:
- Name: ds_snowflake
- Database adapter: Snowflake
- Database URI: use a connection string in the form of: jdbc:snowflake://host/?db=database&schema=schema&warehouse=warehouse
For example : jdbc:snowflake://host/?db=SAMPLEKB_DB&schema=DKP&warehouse=VDP_WH
- Username: Enter the username to connect to Snowflake
- Password: Enter the appropriate password.
- Once the details are filled, click on “Test Connection” and if the connection is successful, click on “Save”.
- Once the data source is created, create base views for that particular source. In order to do that click on the "CREATE BASE VIEW" tab.
- This will then display a tree with the schemas of the database. Click on any schema to inspect its tables and their fields. To search a view or a schema, type its name in the “search” box located at the top of the dialog. The list will only show the elements whose name contains the text you entered.
- To incorporate some of the tables into the Denodo virtual schema, you have to check the box near the tables or views you want to import and then click “Create selected”.
- When the importing process is finished, the new views are displayed.
- Now, the base views are ready for the execution and to be combined with the rest of the sources.
Virtual DataPort Administration Guide: JDBC Sources
Virtual DataPort Administration Guide: Supported JDBC Data Sources
Snowflake JDBC connectivity Guide: Snowflake JDBC Driver
How To Video: Denodo and Snowflake
Snowflake Data Warehouse